- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Squash soup
- Pumpkin soup
- Spicy pumpkin soup
A super-tasty soup, which is quick and easy to make. Enjoy with crusty bread, if desired.
15 people made this
- 1/2 (220g) tin diced green chillies
- 4 tablespoons soured cream
- 425g pumpkin puree
- 400ml chicken stock
- 125ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:25min
- In a food processor or liquidiser, puree the green chillies and soured cream until well blended. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the pumpkin puree, chicken stock and water. Season with chilli powder, garlic granules and hot pepper sauce. Stir in 4 tablespoons of the soured cream mixture.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Pour into serving bowls and spoon a dollop of the soured cream mixture on top. Run a knife or the tip of a spoon through the dollop to swirl.
Tinned green chillies can be purchased in Hispanic speciality shops or online. Alternatively, you can use fresh chillies to taste.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(14)
Reviews in English (13)
I really like this recipe. It is a great meal to have for a diet or a light meal. Low calorie, but great flavor. I have been lazy before and added the green chiles while the soup is cooking--gives better chile flavor to the soup. Then before serving I stir in the sour cream to make the soup creamy, instead of swirling. I never can eat just one bowl. I like adding chopped cilantro to the sour cream to add another flavor twist. I have made double batches and have frozen the leftovers. Other addition ideas: sauteed onion, corn. I think it is great without even adding the green chilies for a different soup. What a hit at a 10 person Thanksgiving Dinner.-26 Oct 2002
Great base but it needs kicked up a notch. If you taste with just the base and no spices your reactions is going to be "Yuck". It gets better. Trust me. The spices suggested are in too pale a dose to create the changes you need. It will still rate a "Ick" Kick them up by doubling and tasting until you get the effect you like. I went spicer than usual because I used the sour cream to cool it down. [milk cuts hot peppers burn] I also added the chilie peppers to the pumpkin instead of the sour cream. Garnish with parlsey or other herb leaf for that green look. Red Pepper Flakes can be used instead of Chili powder but BE CAREFUL. You could blast your tongue off. Instead of garlic powder use a good garlic and herb seasoning. Put that in first and taste until it is acceptable. Used Franks Hot Sauce. Spicy mix that even the leery one in the family liked. might try it with rice or beans mixed in next.-29 Sep 2004
Yummy! Not your typical soup. Believe it or not, I made this soup because I had the ingredients lying around! It was so simple and turned out really tasty. I used 1.5 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp Cholula, 1.5 tsp green chili powder, 1.5 tsp crushed red pepper, about .5 tsp cumin, and some salt and black pepper. I also just added the chopped green chilis to the pumpkin/stock. I used vegetable stock instead of chicken to make vegetarian. Will make again when I have leftover pumpkin!-30 Apr 2008